How do I get support?

  • To access Specific Learning Difference (SpLD) support you will have to apply for Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA).
  • If you already have a diagnosis of a SpLD you can use your diagnosis assessment to apply for DSA when you apply for your full time undergraduate course.
  • If you are an undergraduate who is not applying for any finance, or if you are a postgraduate student, you can apply for DSA on paper.

I think I might have dyslexia but I don’t have a diagnosis

If you think you have dyslexia, or another SpLD, then you can make an appointment to see one of our Specialist Study Skills Tutors for a screening. Book a free screening by emailing or calling (01603) 977977.

A screening is a short, informal conversation where you and the tutor will discuss the challenges you have been facing. This process is not daunting, and you will not be judged or tested. Our sole focus is to support you in your learning and to receive the most effective support you can, to help you fulfil your goals.

What happens if the screening suggests I am dyslexic?

If there are signs of SpLD the tutor will supply you with a list of websites which details providers who are qualified to undertake a full diagnostic assessment. The University is currently unable to offer you an appointment with a specific provider.

We will generally contribute up to £400 towards the cost of this assessment, based on your household income, although the University contributes £200 towards that cost for the majority of students. Additional funding support is also available through the Financial Support Fund. Please don’t be put off by the cost of an assessment, just come and talk to us.

If a SpLD/dyslexia is confirmed at your assessment, then you will be eligible to apply for the Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA). The next step is to make a feedback appointment with a Specialist Tutor. They will talk you through your diagnostic assessment report, answer any questions you may have, and help you apply for DSA.

What benefit will I get from receiving DSA?

As part of the process of applying for DSA you will be asked to attend a Needs Assessment where your Needs Assessor will recommend appropriate support and equipment for you. Quite often a Needs Assessor will recommend you receive Specialist Study Skills Tutorials, which are intended to help students develop the skills they need to overcome their specific challenges. Your Needs Assessor may also suggest some Assistive Technology you might find useful, such as texthelp read&write, ClaroRead, or Grammarly.

I get DSA and have my tutorials provided by the university. How do I book an appointment?

Tutorials are available in hourly sessions, and must be booked in advance by emailing or calling (01603) 977977. Please do let us know if you are unable to keep an appointment with as much notice as possible.

If I have SpLD am I entitled to extensions to academic deadlines?

No, we do not offer automatic extensions for students with SpLD. We believe tutorial support via the DSA is a more productive and effective way for students to develop the skills to overcome learning challenges and effectively meet deadlines. This does not prevent you for applying for an extension for any other relevant reason.

Is there any other support available to me?

There is a wealth of information you can access online that is designed to help you with your study skills. Take a look at the Study Skills section of this website. You may also find our page on Assistive Technology useful. For more guided assistance, a ‘Successful Study’ course is run by the Norfolk and Suffolk Wellbeing Service.

“Dyslexia Support has been essential for my time at NUA. Specialist dyslexia tutors made my research report manageable and were a constant source of reassurance. I can’t thank/praise them enough!”

For more information on support related to your studies see the Student Support pages on the intranet.