Skip to content
Home SpLD/Dyslexia Support How do I get support?

How do I get support?

  • To access Specific Learning Difference (SpLD) support, you will have to apply for Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA).
  • If you already have a diagnosis of a SpLD, you can use your diagnosis assessment to apply for DSA when you apply for your full time undergraduate course.
  • If you are an undergraduate who is not applying for any finance, or if you are a postgraduate student, you can apply for DSA on paper.

How can I get assessed?

  • If you think you have dyslexia, or another SpLD, then you can make an appointment to see one of our Specialist Study Skills Tutors for a screening.
  • Book a free screening via Our Norwich Uni, by emailing or calling (01603) 977977.
  • A screening is a short, informal conversation where you and the tutor will discuss the challenges you have been facing. This process is not daunting, and you will not be judged or tested. Our sole focus is to support you in your learning and to receive the most effective support you can, to help you fulfil your goals.
  • If at the screening it is felt that you would benefit from an assessment, the member of staff will discuss next steps with you as well as any potential costs. Please don’t be put off by possible costs, just come and talk to us and we will explain everything you need to know so that you can decide what you want to do next.
  • For more information, contact us via Our Norwich Uni, email us at, call us on (01603) 977977, or see our VLE page (scroll down to “Disability and DSA”).

What is the Disabled Student’s Allowance?

  • If a SpLD/dyslexia is confirmed at your assessment, then you will be eligible to apply for the Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA).
  • The next step is to make a feedback appointment with a Specialist Tutor. They will talk you through your diagnostic assessment report, answer any questions you may have, and help you apply for DSA.
  • As part of the process of applying for DSA, you will be asked to attend a Needs Assessment where your Needs Assessor will recommend appropriate support and equipment for you. Quite often a Needs Assessor will recommend you receive Specialist Study Skills Tutorials, which are intended to help students develop the skills they need to overcome their specific challenges. Your Needs Assessor may also suggest some Assistive Technology you might find useful, such as texthelp read&write, ClaroRead, or Grammarly.

What support is available?

  • If you get DSA and have your tutorials provided by the university, you can book tutorials with a Specialist Study Skills Tutor.
  • Tutorials are available in hourly sessions, and must be booked in advance by emailing or calling (01603) 977977. Please do let us know if you are unable to keep an appointment with as much notice as possible.

If I have SpLD am I entitled to extensions to academic deadlines?

  • No, we do not offer automatic extensions for students with SpLD. We believe tutorial support via the DSA is a more productive and effective way for students to develop the skills to overcome learning challenges and effectively meet deadlines. This does not prevent you for applying for an extension for any other relevant reason.

“Dyslexia Support has been essential for my time at [Norwich University of the Arts]. Specialist dyslexia tutors made my research report manageable and were a constant source of reassurance. I can’t thank/praise them enough!”

(Past Student Feedback)

Additional resources

  • There is a wealth of information you can access online that is designed to help you with your study skills. Take a look at the Study Skills section of this website. You may also find our page on Assistive Technology useful.
  • For more guided assistance, a ‘Successful Study’ course is run by the Norfolk and Suffolk Wellbeing Service.
Home Back to top